Tuesday 20 January 2015

A Reflective Post

          English, sometimes described as the first worldwide lingua franca, is the official language of many sovereign states and is the primary language used in Singapore schools and work force. Writing in English is necessary, unavoidable and is important to me (and in my view to anyone else in Singapore). As I am studying Real estate, I have to write in English to complete assignments, churn out reports and to prepare for dissertation as a pre-condition to graduation.

              A good command of the language will help to explain a complex topic and express and communicate my point of view clearly to my readers and professors, which increases my chances to impress and score good grades. On the other hand, an inability to write clearly, coherently and grammatically accurate English may culminate in confusion and frustration in my readers.

         I foresee myself entering the field of Real Estate in my working years, whereby exchanging emails with business partners and clients, submitting reports and preparing proposals inevitably form part and parcel of my job scope.

           Having a strong foundation in writing in English will undoubtedly enable myself to express my views clearly and facilitate efficient communication amongst my counterparts, superiors and clients. It is an important and valuable skill that will also help to set a good impression amongst partners, colleagues and clients and a fundamental foundation from which I could climb corporate ladder.

           I understand that writing in English and being able to excel in it is a progressive process that requires continuous effort and practice. I hope that at the end of the module, I can be better equipped with the skill of writing in English.


4 comments:

  1. Hi, I like the way you started your post, especially the word 'lingua franca'. I searched it up and I think it is a really suitable description of the extent of influence of English Language. Great job, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paulette! I think you did a good job explaining the importance of English language in a globalised world. Your points were clear and the reflection is easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Paulette! I like how your essay is very relevant to the topic, you shared about the impact of English on your studies and career. I also agreed the points you had mentioned. Sometimes, you squeezed too much content in one sentence, so it might be better if you split them up (: Overall, an enjoyable read that is well organised and understandable. Keep up the good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Paulette, for embracing the chance to deal with this less utilized topic for this writing assignment. I like the way you move your discussion from an overview on the more global level to English in the Singapore context and then to English as it pertains to your career needs (on a more personal one). In real estate there are clear career advantages to having English, so you will certainly be well served by being fluent.

    You also write this in a clear, concise and grammatically correct manner. For that reason, this is a very fine short essay. I looking forward to reading more from you this term.

    ReplyDelete